This recipe is a family favorite around the holidays and special occasions. A simple marinade that highlights the great natural flavor of beef. Quick and easy to make, perfect for a special meal at home.
Prime Rib Marinade
6 lb prime rib roast (bone in can be used)
½ cup coarsely ground black pepper
½ teaspoon cardamom
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup soy sauce
¾ cup vinegar
- Combine pepper and cardamom in mixing bowl. Use hands to rub mixture over all sides of beef.
- Combine tomato paste, paprika, garlic powder.
- Gradually add soy sauce and vinegar to mixture.
- Place prime rib in large Ziploc bag or container
- Add marinade to bag or container, being careful not to wash rub off of meat. If place in bag, remove as much air as possible.
- Place beef in refrigerator overnight to marinade. (Can marinade up to 24 hours)
- Baste the prime rib the next morning several times. If prime rib was placed in bag overnight, carefully flip prime rib over to marinade the other side.
- Remove prime rib from marinade approximately an hour prior to cooking to sit at room temperature.
- Pre-heat oven to 450 F.
- Sear meat for 15 minutes at 450 F.
- Lower oven temperature to 275 – 300 F.
- Cook for approximately 2 hours with meat thermometer to desired wellness. Prime rib will take 13 to 15 minutes per pound.
- Rule of Thumb: Remove from oven 5 to 10 degrees before desired doneness.
- When desired wellness is reached, removed from oven and loosely tent with foil. Allow prime rib to rest approximately 20 minutes prior to carving.